Intellectual Property (IP) in Indonesia
At a Glance
Intellectual property consists of any innovation, literary and artistic works, or any unique name, symbol, logo, images and design used commercially. Just like other kinds of property, intellectual property needs to be protected from unauthorised use. There are seven ways to protect different types of intellectual property:
1. patents on inventions;
2. trademarks on branding devices;
3. copyrights on music, films, paintings and other forms of expression;
4. industrial designs for new, original, and ornamental designs for articles of manufacture;
5. trade secrets for information, formulas or methods that companies keep secret due to their economic value;
6. right to lay-out design of Integrated Circuit (IC) for original lay-out design of integrated circuit;
7. plant variety protection/plant patents for invented or discovered, asexually reproduced plant varieties.
Intellectual property rights shall be deemed to be movable assets. A copyright, trademark, design right, patent, trade secret, right to lay-out design of IC and plant patent may move or be transferred either in whole or in part by:
d. written agreement; or
e. other reasons justified by laws and regulations.
It’s worth protecting your intellectual property because they can be an important asset and play a key role in the success of your business. You can exploit them yourself, license them or sell them. Some businesses exist solely to collect the royalties from a registered trademark or design they have licensed.